Saturday, June 4, 2016

What kind of God is this?

Photo from Christian Poetry
As I'm reading through Ephesians 2:1-10 my spirit zeros in on this theme of God wanting to do us so much good. In verses 7-8 I'm blown away by this theme (I'm especially partial to the way Peterson paraphrases these verses in the Message):

Now God has us where he wants us, with all the time in this world and the next to shower grace and kindness upon us in Christ Jesus. Saving is all his idea, and all his work. All we do is trust him enough to let him do it. It’s God’s gift from start to finish! We don’t play the major role. 

Then again down in the 10th verse I read:



For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. (NIV)
Albert Barnes wrote about these verses and I appreciate the ways he says it:
"Such was his love toward those who were lost, that it would be an everlasting monument of his mercy, a perpetual and unchanging proof that he was good"
As I read these verses I'm hit with this this idea that there is God.  The God, the one who is the almighty, all knowing, creator of the universe, ruler of all. This same God is here planning and desiring to do so much good to all mankind. So much good to me.  I ask myself - What kind of God is this? That He would want all the time in this world and the one to come to shower grace and kindness on me. That He would prepare good works for me to be about in my life. That He would bother to have a plan for someone like me. What does it say about Him? What does this mean to me?
I want to look at each of these questions burning in my heart.  
What do these verses say about God?  As I think and pray about that, this is what comes to my mind:
  • God thinks about humanity, He makes plans for us
  • God wants to shower humanity with kindness and grace
  • God will do what He wants for humanity through Jesus
  • He wants to save us from the natural destruction that living according to our flesh will result in 
  • God wants to give us salvation, He doesn't want to make us work for it
  • He has a purpose for humanity
  • He has good works that he planned for us to do
What does this mean to me? As I think about pray about it, this is what comes to mind:
  • I'm loved
  • I've got lots of both kindness and grace in my life 
  • I'm created to be an example of how good, kind, and full of grace God is
  • I'm supposed to give what I've received - I need to every day look for ways to extend God's kindness and grace to other people.  As I think on this I'm hit right now by the need to be praying throughout the day as I work or live with people - OK Lord, how exactly do You want me to extend Your grace and kindness to this person right now?
  • My life is not some thing of chance.  God's got a plan for me.  He's prepared good stuff for me to be doing.  I have purpose.
Oh Father, may Your Word work in me.  May I know and experience in my deepest part, Your mercy and kindness.  May the joy of these gifts permeate my life.  Holy Spirit, please remind and prompt me throughout my days to let You show me how to extend mercy and kindness to the people I encounter.



No comments:

Post a Comment