Sunday, August 16, 2015

Ephesians 1:1-2

Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God,
To God’s holy people in Ephesus,[a] the faithful in Christ Jesus:
Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ. Ephesians 1:1-2 (NIV)

As I looked at these first 2 verses in 5 different Bible versions a couple of things struck me:

1. Paul was an apostle, was doing what he was doing, because it was what God wanted.
   How powerful of a statement is that? What he was doing in his life was because it is what God wanted.
   Can I say that?
   Maybe. Sometimes. So often it's easy to just get caught up in living; to get into motivations that are about my comfort, my ego, and what pleases me. Or even just be going through the motions of life.
   Oh Father, help me to be doing what I'm doing each day because it's Your will. Help me live with a purpose. Help me in each day to know what You want me to be doing; keep me mindful of this.

2. The people in the church were faithful.
    I'm thinking back to Acts 19:1-20:1 about the beginning of the church in Ephesians. These were people in a culture that was dominated by worship to a false god (Artemis). The temple of Artemis that was there was considered one of the 7 wonders of the world.  Their faith went against the common culture.
    Yet they remained faithful despite the common culture.
    When John addressed the church of Ephesus in Revelation 2:1-6, he even commented on their perseverance. 
   Could the same thing be said of me?
   Is the hallmark of who I am that I am a faithful follower of Christ?
   Yes and No.
   Too often I stray the course and get into things that are not the best use of my time and energy.  I'm reminded of the lyrics to a song that I learned many years ago in church, it's a song that is sung to the the Lord:

"So many times I've failed, and I have slipped away, but I will never leave - because You are so faithful".

Then the chorus proclaims:

"I want to be faithful to You
I want to be true Lord.
Whatever You say I will do
I will obey."

These are indeed the words of my heart today.

No comments:

Post a Comment